Sunday, 22 November 2015

Interpretation Of Text AUB 2.1

Research-
https://www.pinterest.com/Gabe_Robertson/
https://www.pinterest.com/Gabe_Robertson/aub-hbitgo/

 For this unit, I chose to do 'Book Publishing Option 2' which meant I was to create 1 Book cover and 4 illustrations for a book on our reading list.

To begin with, I went and read all the books listed and worked on initial ideas for each, in my sketchbook.
Daphne Du Maurier- The Birds

This short story had quite a sinister atmosphere, the feeling that the characters were never safe and always in danger. Suspense and dread was key throughout and I wanted to capture that mood within my illustrations. I used a mixture of pencil, ink and watercolour, making use sharp mark making to add fear. 






Kiran Desai- Hullabaloo In The Guava Orchard

I found this book to be funny, absorbing and full of tiny details which really captured my imagination. The location being India gave me a rich wealth of imagery to use within my work and although the story was quite tame, it had some unusual elements. 

This is the story I chose to illustrate for this project. 











Alexander Pushkin- The Queen of Spades and Other Stories

A classic, Pushkin's Queen of Spades attracted me due to it's historical and geographic factors. I thought how to illustrate the cold, and create an atmosphere of hostility and greed.









John Windham- The Chrysalids

A story about a Dystopian future, this book has influenced countless stories s







Research

4. Developed work.










I was recommended to watch an Indian film called Tamil (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2877108/), which I found useful in terms of understanding everyday life in India. It could be said that the film's story exaggerated certain aspects, but it gave me a better incite into the smaller details of living in India.

5. Choosing images.









Cover Illustration








Image 1.






Image 2.











Image 3.









Image 4.







Finals- 






No comments:

Post a Comment